Filling the skills gaps by being inclusive
Rosie Anderson, our Cyber Specialist Recruitment Manager, writes:
"Managing the cyber recruitment team for Outsource UK means I work in a challenging technical area with a big skills shortage.
Whilst exhibiting at CyberUK in March, one of the key messages from the NCSC was that we need a diverse workforce to ensure that we solve the hardest security challenges. Cyber security needs to work for everyone, from our technophobe grandparents to our tech-savvy privacy-averse children, so cyber problems need to be approached from every viewpoint. Diversity in the technology workforce matters.
Of course, the skills shortage isn't exclusive to cyber, and working with my colleagues within our engineering, logistics, finance, big data and technology recruitment teams, it is very evident that there are huge diversity gaps in all of the above skills areas."
Diversity covers many aspects; did you know that:
- Whilst over 50% of the potential workforce is female, only 3% of females say they would consider technology as their 1st career option.
- Across the UK only 15% of the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) workforce is female.
- Only 5% of leadership positions in the technology industry are held by women.
So what can a specialist recruiter such as Outsource do to help raise awareness?
Get inclusive – we’ve planned our first Women in Technology event for 13th June in London, and many of the senior female leaders from Outsource, including Rosie, will be present to offer insight and support.
We have two aims –
- To bring together female leaders within engineering, logistics, defence, cyber and financial services as a peer group to network and knowledge share.
- To invite our community of female graduates, females returning to a career or students who are unsure which direction to take or have concerns about technical careers to put their questions to our experienced panel of senior tech women from global businesses based in the UK.
We’d love you to join us for drinks, nibbles and great conversation – click here for more details, and to let us know you’d like to come along.
Inspiring Women in Technology Meetup
Tuesday 13th June, 1800-2030
#OUKWomeninTech #womenintech #FeminSTEM