Our client is looking for an engineer with microwave engineering knowledge to join the communications team for aircraft SATCOM solutions based in Southampton. The role will be initially focussed on the electronics design of the RF and control subsystems; to be implemented on laboratory and aircraft concept demonstrators in later stages of the project. The engineer will provide technical support throughout the product lifecycle including design implementation, integration and test, system trials and product delivery.
The microwave electronics engineer will be part of the Airborne Communications product development group within the Integrated Sensing & Protection line of business; interacting with partner organisations / sub-contractors and potential customers.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
· You will be responsible for delivery of specific work packages focussed on analogue and RF electronics, covering the SATCOM architecture design, system test and integration.
· Modelling of proposed architectures to determine the optimal solution.
· Simulation of RF design.
· Documentation of design including configuration management within Teamcenter.
· Support laboratory hardware demonstrator development.
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR
You must have:
· Practical hands on experience of RF design of circuitry between DC and 30 GHz.
· Experience of the design of PLLs in the 10 to 30 GHz frequency range.
· Experience of either PCB layout or otherwise close working with PCB layout personnel in an advisory capacity.
· Hands on experience of using RF test and measurement equipment to develop and debug RF circuitry up to 30 GHz.
· Experience in designing for temperature and vibration profiles in line with aircraft environments.
· Ability to use RF and system modelling and simulation tools such as MATLAB and Keysight ADS.
· Ability to produce concise technical reports detailing design solutions and implementation.
· Ability to understand and follow the business practices, such as design reviews, which come with working in a high technology defence environment.
· Graduate degree in relevant engineering or related scientific discipline (Electronics Engineering preferred).
· Ability to make technical decisions within own sphere of responsibility.
· Willingness to work proactively within a fast moving and dynamic environment.
· Ability to be a team player with a willingness to share ideas and communicate well within a project team environment.
· As part of an electromechanical project, be willing to work closely with the mechanical team members to create a solution which addresses all design requirements.
It would be nice if you have:
· Knowledge / experience of digital or mixed signal design.
· Experience in system level and sub-system integration and debug.
· Ability to work independently, managing own workload and reporting accurately and regularly on progress.
WHAT YOU'LL GET
· Communications Expertise: Leonardo has subject-matter experts with extensive and detailed knowledge of the communication systems: technology, performance, and operational capabilities - the learning potential is limitless!
· Continuous Learning: Whether it's communication systems, engineering lifecycle processes, leadership, or personal development, you'll be supported in your ongoing professional development though training and mentoring.
· Teamwork: You will work alongside like-minded professional engineers in a highly collaborative environment.
· Connections: You will be joining an expansive team of around 7,000 people at six major sites across the UK.
CONTRACT INSIDE IR35