Lead Safety Engineer
Based in Basildon Lead Safety Engineer is required on a 6 month contract basis to work for a major aerospace client.
This is an great opportunity to join a leading edge and exciting programme of work which does offer an excellent working environment.
The individual will support the Design Authority to assure safety of products within the Land and Naval and Detectors lines of business led out of Basildon, but with work covering Southampton and Farnham.
The role will be based at Basildon, with the expectation of travel within the UK and occasional international trips.
- Operate as the Safety signatory on behalf of the company
- Participate in Product Safety Panels as a specialist advisor to manage and resolve safety incidents;
- Maintain an up to date knowledge of safety and environmental legislation and customer needs;
- Participate in company working groups to monitor proposed changes to the legislative environment;
- As a practitioner, provide input and advice to the product development teams;
- Operate as a consultant to promote safety culture within Leonardo working with Safety, Health and Environmental teams to ensure safe working practices are maintained;
- Develop and deliver training courses and speak with confidence on Product Safety and Environmental matters;
- Perform safety audits of internal and external/subcontract teams assuring that safety and environmental requirements are achieved.
- Working knowledge of Legislation - eg REACH, RoHS and EU directives;
- Working knowledge of industry standards such as DEF STAN 00-056, 00-055, 00-051;
- Familiarity with POSMS and POEMS
- Regularly delivered training within a Company and delivered awareness presentations to other groups. Has worked with others to identify the future Product Safety and Environmental needs of a Company;
- Awareness of cyber and its effect on safety;
- Has hands-on experience of developing robust safety and environmental impact case reports for complex systems in accordance with customer, regulatory and legislative expectations.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, ability to interact with subject matter experts regarding a wide range of technical and operational topics.
- Experience of MIL-STD-882, EN 61508 RTCA DO-254 and RTCA DO-178C or similar;
- Experience of working with the external stakeholders to understand the concept of operations for products, in order to understand the functional safety/hazards and define/agree the appropriate mitigations;
- Ability to identify and deliver alternate/innovative ways to manage safety, including ensuring buy-in from key regulatory bodies;
- Active membership of an external safety specialist group
- Familiarity with the principles of incident investigation and knows how to implement an investigation process;
- Willingness to travel within the UK and overseas
If you would like to be considered for this role please don't hesitate to click apply or call Daniel McShane for more information.
Outsource UK - Curating Specialist Talent
We're one of the largest independent staffing companies in the UK, focussed on Technology, Change and Engineering talent. For over 30 years we have been taking care of everything for jobseekers and clients alike. We pride ourselves on listening to your needs and working closely with you to find the right role or hire for you.
For more information, please visit our website
Outsource - taking care of everything