Mechanical CAD Designer and Support Engineer
A Mechanical CAD Designer and Support Engineer is required to work on a six month contract, with the possibility of extension for our Defence client based in Portsmouth.
Overview of the MCAD Engineer contract role
- Working as part of a multi-functional team, the role holder will have several years of experience of using CAD software to create 2D and 3D solid modelled designs, for a wide range of products from small components to large complex sub-systems.
- The role holder will take the Lead Design Engineers conceptual information and further develop it into a detailed design and data pack that is suitable for manufacture.
- In addition to the MCAD activities stated above the role holder will support the Commander Egypt Mechanical Engineers with general Engineering activities. This will involve (but not limited to) raising Concessions, addressing Obsolescence queries and Problem Reports (PR's) and raising Engineering Changes (ER's).
- Build related PR's will be addressed once the Project reaches this phase in the lifecycle.
Major Tasks and Activities
- Create 2D and 3D solid modelled designs, for a wide range of products from small components to large complex sub-systems.
- Create conceptual design schemes from engineering information.
- Support first off build activities.
- Liaise with sub-contract manufacturers and suppliers.
- Create detailed manufacturing drawings of piece parts and assembly drawings.
- Implement design changes
- Work to company standards, processes and guidelines.
- Resolve obsolescence issues.
- Proficient in the use of SAP PDM tool for maintaining and updating design data.
- Raise ER's, PR's and Concessions
Key skills required for the MCAD Engineer
- Mechanical or Electro-mechanical qualification to HNC level.
- Proficient in the use of 2D and 3D CAD design/draughting tools, preferably Siemens NX.
- Experience of designing to meet Environmental requirements (EMC, Shock and Vibration)
- Experience of design for manufacture and design for maintainability practices.
- A good understanding of BS8888 Engineering Drawing standards (previously BS308).
- An understanding of Electrical drawing practices, creation of Circuit Diagrams and Wiring Schedules under the guidance of Electrical Engineers.
- Able to present ideas and explain the rationale in both written and verbal form.
- Interpersonal skills to a high standard to obtain information from multi-disciplinary teams.
- Competent with Microsoft Office applications.
The role is based in Portsmouth, Hampshire - commutable from Southampton, Cowes, Isle of Wight, Salisbury, Winchester, Andover, Basingstoke, Guildford, Aldershot, Crawley, Horsham, Brighton, Worthing, Chichester
If you are a MCAD Engineer looking for a new contract either apply online or if would like to find out about other Defence opportunities please contact Kris Foston on firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 0161 694 9200
Do you know anyone who might be looking for a new role? You could benefit from our candidate referral scheme. Contact me on the above contact details for more information.
Outsource UK - Curating Specialist Talent
We're one of the largest independent staffing companies in the UK, focussed on Technology, Change and Engineering talent. For over 30 years we have been taking care of everything for jobseekers and clients alike. We pride ourselves on listening to your needs and working closely with you to find the right role or hire for you.
For more information, please visit our website
Outsource - taking care of everything