A Naval Architect is required to work on a six month contract, with the possibility of extension for our Defence client based in Portsmouth.
Overview of the Naval Architect contract role
An experienced naval architect with a depth and breadth of engineering knowledge. The Senior Naval Architect is a key role in the Design Services Naval Architecture team responsible for delivering naval architecture capability across a broad set of challenges to meet the needs of Warship Support internal projects and the customer programmes.
In addition to participating in a wide range of activities including concept design, detailed design, support to build, delivery and in service support to surface ship platforms and naval base facilities, the position is responsible for:
- Leading naval architecture domains such as structural analyses, stability analyses, inclining experiments and drydockings.
- Leading design reviews and certifying deliverables and providing assurance to the Design Authority that the tasks are fit for purpose.
- Mentoring and providing technical leadership and guidance to other team members.
Key skills required for the Naval Architect
- Qualified to degree level, preferably MEng, in Naval Architecture /Marine Technology.
- Professionally Registered (CEng) as a member of The Royal Institution of Naval Architects (RINA) or equivalent.
- Has a breadth and depth of expertise in
- leading, conducting and analysing Inclining Experiments in a MOD framework
- Structural analysis, both theoretical and ideally using FEA, preferably ANSYS Workbench
- Understanding of drydocking theory and practice
- Engineering material selection and use, particularly according to British Standards/ Euronorms/ Classification Society standards and Defence Standards
- Caisson design and operation
- GRP and steel ship repair methods and procedures
- Surface ship design standards and processes (IMO, NES, DefStan, Classification Rules)
- Good understanding of the whole ship engineering design process.
- Good understanding of the hydromechanic aspects of surface ship design, principally stability
- Familiarity of naval architectural software, preferably PARAMARINE
- Experience of CAD software such as AutoCAD, Inventor
- Awareness of Product Safety and SHE
- Awareness of marine and/or defence systems
- Awareness of how marine risk is managed by Class/ Flag State Authority
The role is based in Portsmouth, Hampshire - commutable from Southampton, Cowes, Isle of Wight, Salisbury, Winchester, Andover, Basingstoke, Guildford, Aldershot, Crawley, Horsham, Brighton, Worthing, Chichester
If you are a Naval Architect looking for a new contract either apply online or if would like to find out about other Defence opportunities please contact Kris Foston on firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 0161 694 9200
Do you know anyone who might be looking for a new role? You could benefit from our candidate referral scheme. Contact me on the above contact details for more information.
Outsource UK - Curating Specialist Talent
We're one of the largest independent staffing companies in the UK, focussed on Technology, Change and Engineering talent. For over 30 years we have been taking care of everything for jobseekers and clients alike. We pride ourselves on listening to your needs and working closely with you to find the right role or hire for you.
Outsource - taking care of everything