Principal Naval Architect
A Principal Naval Architect is required to work on a six-month contract, with the possibility of extension for our Defence client based in Portsmouth.
Overview of the Principal Naval Architect contract roles
The Principal Naval Architect is a key role in the Small Boats Design team responsible for providing naval architecture capability across a broad spectrum of projects. The Naval Architect will be providing solutions in support of new build, development and post design projects for small craft.
As a Principal Naval Architect your main responsibilities will involve: -
- Collate evidence and present solutions so as to provide assurance to the SDA and other stakeholders.
- Lead engineering projects from requirements definition through to delivery.
- Provide sound estimates for engineering work carried out.
- Providing technical guidance to other team members.
- Conducting naval architecture tasks such as structural analyses, stability analyses, inclining experiments and concept design.
- Conducting all activities in a professional manner delivering naval architecture design solutions to agreed time, cost and quality to meet project or business milestones
- Participating in a wide range of activities including concept design, detailed design, support to build, delivery and in service support to the small boats sector.
Key skills required for the Principal Naval Architect
- Qualified to degree level in Naval Architecture /Power craft Design.
- Already or on course to Professionally Registered (CEng) as a member of The Royal Institution of Naval Architects (RINA) or equivalent.
- Demonstrable knowledge and, ideally, experience in a number of the following:
- Leading engineering projects.
- Leading small craft design from concept through to delivery.
- Small Craft design standards and processes (IMO, MCA, ISO, DefStan, Classification Rules)
- Vessel powering and performance analysis.
- Small Craft systems design including electrical, fuel bilge etc.
- 3D modelling, ideally using Siemens NX.
- 2D drafting knowledge and experience.
- Stability analysis, ideally using Maxsurf.
- GRP and aluminium design and repair knowledge
- Structural analysis, both theoretical and using FEA,
- Engineering material selection and use, particularly according to British Standards/ Euronorms/ Classification Society standards and Defence Standards
- Conducting and analysing Inclining Experiments.
- Requirements Capture.
If you are a Principal Naval Architect looking for a new contract either apply online or if would like to find out about other opportunities please contact Mark Ellis on firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 0161 694 9196
Do you know anyone who might be looking for a new role? You could benefit from our candidate referral scheme. Contact me on the above contact details for more information.
Outsource UK - Curating Specialist Talent
We're one of the largest independent staffing companies in the UK, focussed on Technology, Change and Engineering talent. For over 30 years we have been taking care of everything for jobseekers and clients alike. We pride ourselves on listening to your needs and working closely with you to find the right role or hire for you.
Outsource - taking care of everything